Welcome to the Sulak canyon website!
About Sulak canyon
Sulak canyon is one of the deepest canyons in the world and the deepest in Europe, its depth reaches up to 1920 meters and a length of 53 kilometers.
It is one of the most famous and most visited natural attractions of Dagestan; every year thousands of tourists from all over the world visit it.
The Sulak canyon is located in the central part of Dagestan, in the valley of the Sulak river. Nearby is the urban-type village of Dubki. The nearest and only large city with air service is Makhachkala. It is located 55 kilometers east in a straight line, and the distance by road will be about 100 kilometers.
Photos of Sulak canyon
- Observation deck #1: GPS 43°00’59.9″N 46°49’54.9″E (43.016635, 46.831905). Look at Google maps, at Yandex maps;
- Observation deck #2: GPS 43°01’15.2″N 46°49’32.2″E (43.020876, 46.825604). Look at Google maps, at Yandex maps.
Tours of the Sulak canyon
Group or individual excursion
The price includes:
- 07:30 – Departure from Makhachkala, Place of collection and departure, GPS 42°58’56.9″N 47°27’57.9″E (42.982481, 47.466080), look at Google maps, at Yandex maps;
- 09:00 – A stop at the Chirkey reservoir, formed on the Sulak River as a result of the construction of the Chirkei Hydroelectric Power Station, the most powerful hydroelectric power station in the North Caucasus. The Chirkey hydropower plant has the second largest platinum in Russia and the highest arched platinum in the country;
- 10:00 – Arrival at the observation deck on the Sulak canyon. Sulak canyon is one of the most striking and exciting natural attractions of Dagestan;
- 11:30 – A walk through the trout farm;
- 12:00 – Lunch on the banks of the Sulak river at Fish House Masgouf;
- 13:30 – Departure to the village of Zubutli through the tunnel of the Miatlinskaya Hydroelectric Power Station – one of the ancient Salatava villages. It is located on the second step of the main Sulak canyon, on the left bank of the Sulak river;
- 15:30 – Boat trip on the turquoise waters of the Sulak river. Rest and soulful tea with a samovar on firewood with national sweets, in a picturesque place overlooking the waterfall;
- 18:30 – Return trip to Makhachkala.
How to get there
To Makhachkala by plane
From the airport to Makhachkala by taxi
From Makhachkala to the Sulak canyon (village Dubki)
- As part of a group or individual tour;
- Alone on your car (route);
- By taxi.
Tel.: +7 966 743-53-08
Opening hours: from 9 am to 6 pm, daily
Address: Dubki village, Kazbekovsky district, Republic of Dagestan, Russia
Sulak canyon, official website